April 12, 2015

Baby Walunaii Dos' Nursery

 Hooray, hooray!  The nursery is done and ready to welcome our second little baby Walunaii.  This room came with a few hurdles for a couple different reasons.
1 - We had gold dots on the wall already.  I didn't want to remove them, but I also didn't want it to feel girly or too feminine.
2 - We love Max's nursery for its ability to grow with him and for it's functionality and personality. See it here. I was so nervous that all I would do is create the exact same room across the hall because it was constantly on my mind.  Somehow, I think we overcame that.
3 - I want nursery's (and any child's room while I still have a say) to be able to stand up to real decor.  By that I mean when you walk into my child's room I don't want you to think "baby" (except for the dead give away of the bed....).  I want you to feel like it has style that can stand the test of a few years and I want to feel like there are timeless and meaningful pieces that he can bring with him as he grows.

I started with the idea of woodsy modern, but as that evolved and changed I told Ben I wanted more of a modern lodge type feel with the dark woods and different shades of blue.

We found the Pottery Barn crib for a steal.  Max still sleeps ever so soundly in his crib and I was not ready to rock that boat.  Plus his bed transitions, so when he's ready we can move him to a big-boy bed easily.

The pillows, quilt and gold dots are all from Etsy.  The crib sheet is from Pottery Barn. The blue "W" was part of the decor from this babes shower and the leather chair (most importantly) was Ben's dad Ed's favorite chair.  Ed passed away exactly a year from this babe's due date.  In Ed's last days I told him when he got to Heaven to send me another baby and I have no doubt he did just that.  When I asked Jody if we could borrow the chair I intended it to go into Max's room.  But once we had it here I knew it was perfect here.  The curtains and lamp are from HomeGoods and the side table, blue rug and curtain rod are from Target. The faux fur white rug is from IKEA.



The adjacent wall to the bed and chair is our changing table area.  I had such a debate for weeks about this wall.  Max's is similar with the pegboard and colored dresser, but I went with a full length mirror on the side so the babe can eventually pull himself up and look into the mirror.  Oh the fingerprints! 

I made the felt ball garland from felt balls purchased on Etsy.  The moose head is also from Etsy. The pegboard and baskets are from Home Depot and are filled with things to make our lives easier from our family and friends.  The Buffalo and Bear prints are from Brickyard Buffalo.  The piggy bank is from Target, the mirror and chevron basket with wipes, lotion and baby powder are from HomeGoods.  The changing pad cover is from Land of Nod.  I painted the arrow from Unfinished Wood and I drew the Tee-Pee which will also have his name and birthdate.  The dresser we found on craigslist and Ben painted it light blue. You should see the transformation! 




I truly could not love this room more.  I am pretty sure my boy's rooms are my most very favorite rooms in the house.  I could (I do) sit for hours in their rooms and think about all life has in store for them.  I can't wait to welcome our second little man!

4 comments:

Lisa Henry said...

Super cute room, Amber!

Unknown said...

You have a gift, lady!

mynameis tash said...

COME DECORATE MY FUTURE APARTMENT!

Unknown said...

do you mind sharing how many inches you left between the gold wall decals (horizontally and vertically)? looks great!